Marin Hinkle biography: husband, movies and TV shows, Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, net worth
Marin Hinkle is an American actress who is known for her roles in the popular shows “Two and a Half Men”, “Once And Again” and “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”, for which she earned several Emmy nominations.
Hinkle had a pretty exciting childhood and was born in Tanzania before her family relocated to America when she was four months old. The story of Hinkle’s career is a strange one and is proof that whether or not you chase something, what will be will be.
She originally wanted to become a ballerina and rigorously trained for it until she was 16, when an ankle injury ended her dreams. She decided to reroute her career to acting, and she was lucky that although her parents had their reservations, they still supported her.
Hinkle studied for a degree to fall back on if acting didn’t work, and then she dove headfirst into her acting career. It has certainly paid off as the actress has enjoyed an active career, appearing in several movies and TV shows and earning recognition for them.
What else is there to learn about this gifted actress? Well, there is so much more. First, here are 10 quick facts about Marin Hinkle.
Top 10 facts about Marin Hinkle
- Marin Hinkle was born on 11 March 1966 and is 55 years old in 2021.
- Hinkle was born to a judge and a teacher who met each other while serving in the Marine Corps.
- Marin Hinkle was born in Dae Es Salaam in Tanzania before moving back to America with her parents when she was four months old.
- Hinkle got her start in acting by appearing in theatre productions and on Broadway.
- The actress is a graduate of both Brown University and New York University.
- Hinkle’s height has been recorded as 1.64 cm or 5 feet and 4 inches (5’4″).
- Marin Hinkle originally wanted to become a ballerina, but she broke her ankle and abandoned that career choice.
- Hinkle is married to New York theatre director, Randall Sommer and they have one son together.
- She is currently worth three million dollars ($3 million).
- Marin Hinkle is of Italian, Norwegian, Irish, English, and German descent.
Related article: Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones drummer dies at 80; see 5 facts about him.
Marin Hinkle was born on 11 March 1966 in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania, to Rodney Hinkle, a college dean and teacher, and a judge of the Superior Court of Massachusetts. Her parents met each other while they served in the Peace Corps.
Hinkle spent her early life in Tanzania before her family returned to Boston, Massachusetts, when she was four months old. Her father is from New York and her mother is from Minnesota but she is of Italian (from her maternal grandfather), Norwegian, Irish, English, and German descent.
Hinkle has a younger brother, Mark, who is two years and some months younger than she is. She attended Newton South High School and originally wanted to become a ballerina. However, life has a way of humbling us and redirecting us to paths that may end up being better than our original ones.
At the age of 16, Hinkle suffered a career-ending ankle injury. She hung up her pointed shoes and had to choose another career path. This was how she ended up choosing acting, a decision that inspired concern in her parents.
Nonetheless, they were supportive but due to their pragmatic nature, they advised Hinkle to obtain a Master’s degree so that if acting did not work out, she could fall back on her degree and become a teacher.
She took their advice and after high school, attended Brown University after which she enrolled in New York University’s Graduate Acting Program at the Tisch School of the Arts, graduating in 1991.
At first, she admitted that she was terrible at her acting classes. She eventually learned pertinent skills and grew into the gifted actor that she is now, proving that you can learn (almost) any skill.
After completing her studies, Marin Hinkle immediately launched her career and got started trying to find roles in Hollywood. Her first roles were in theatre and Broadway appearances.
Marin Hinkle graduated from the University in 1991 but she did not get her first acting opportunity until three years later, in 1994. Hinkle started her acting career in theatres.
In 1994, she played the character of Juliet in “Romeo and Juliet” at the Shakespeare Theatre Company in Washington DC alongside Jean Stapleton. On Broadway, Hinkle played Kuroko while being an understudy for the character of Miranda in the play, “The Tempest” at the Broadhurst Theatre in 1995.
She enjoyed playing several main roles both in theatre and on Broadway before she played the character of Sandra Markowitz in “A Thousand Clowns” at the Criterion Center Stage Right.
In 1995, she finally got her first appearance on television playing the character of Alison Van Rohan in the NBC television soap opera “Another World”. She also played Judy Brooks in the ABC drama series, “Once and Again” before hitting the Hollywood jackpot.
In 2003, Hinkle was cast in the hit television show “Two and a Half Men” as Alan’s neurotic ex-wife, Judith. She was listed as one of the main characters, but after the show’s eighth season, she appeared less and less on the show until she only had one appearance each in subsequent seasons.
The reason for this is most likely the fact that she was cast in the 2013 NBC drama “Deception”. Since 2017, she has appeared in the super successful TV show “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” as Rose Weissman. That role has brought her so much recognition, enough that she was nominated for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series in 2019 and 2020.
She has also made film appearances, making her debut in the 1994 film “Angie” where she played the role of young Joanne. She went on to appear in “I’m Not Rappaport”, “Frequency”, “The Next Big Thing”, “I Am Sam”, and “Dark Blue”. She also appeared in “Quarantine”, “The Haunting of Molly Hartley”, “Spin City”, “Without a Trace”, “ER”, “House”, and twice as characters on “Law & Order”.
Marin Hinkle Movies and TV shows
Marin Hinkle has appeared in a host of films and TV shows and the extent of her talent cannot be overstated. Below is a list of films and TV shows that Marin Hinkle has appeared in along with the year in which it aired and the character that she played.
- “Jumanji: The Next Level” (2019) as Spencer’s Mom
- “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle” (2017) as Mrs. Gilpin
- “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” (2017) as Rose Weinberg
- “Speechless” (2016) as Dr. Miller
- “A Taylor Story” (2016) as Riley
- “Butterflies of Bill Baker” (2015) as Emma
- “Alex of Venice” (2015) as Andreyev-Liubov
- “Red Band Society” (2014) as Caroline Chota
- “Commencement” (2014) as Gillian
- “Dakota’s Summer” (2014) as Clara
- “Missing at 17” (2013) as Callie
- “Geography Club” (2013) as Barbara Land
- “Deception” (2013) as Samantha Bowers
- “Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23” (2012) as Karen
- “Homeland” (2011) as Christine Lonas
- “The Good Doctor” (2011) as Dr. Sayler
- “Weather Girl” (2009) as Jane
- “Imagine That” (2009) as Miss Davis
- “Castle” (2009) as Rebecca Ellins
- “The Haunting of Molly Hartley” (2008) as Jane Hartley
- “What Just Happened” (2008) as Vanity Fair Coordinator
- “Quarantine” (2008) as Kathy
- “Turn the River” (2008) as Ellen
- “Private Practice” (2007)
- “Rails & Ties” (2007) as Renee
- “The Sarah Silverman Program” (2007)
- “The Ex” (2006) as Karen
- “Brothers and Sisters” (2006) as Courtney McCallister
- “Friends with Money” (2006) as Maya
- “In Justice” (2006)
- “Fielder’s Choice” (2005) as Holly
- “Who’s the Top?” (2005) as Alixe
- “House” (2004) as Naomi Randolph
- “Two and a Half Men” (2003) as Judith Harper and Judith Melnick
- “Dark Blue” (2002) as Deena Schultz
- “Without a Trace (2002) as Angela Buckman
- “The Year That Trembled” (2001) as Helen Kerrigan
- “I Am Sam” (2001) as Patricia
- “Law & Order: Criminal Intent” (2001)
- “WW 3” (2001) as Judy Rosenberg
- “The Next Big Thing” (2001) as Shari Lampkin
- “Final” (2001) as Sherry
- “Sam the Man” (2001) as Shelly
- “Frequency” (2000) as Sissy Clark
- “Once and Again” (1999) as Judy Brooks
- “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit” (1999) as Janice Whitlock
- “Chocolate For Breakfast” (1998) as Amy
- “I’m Not Rappaport” (1996) as Hannah
- “Milk & Money” (1996) as Carla
- “Spin City” (1996)
- “ER” (1994)
- “Angie” (1994) as Young Joanne
- “Law & Order” (1990) as Debbie Mason
In the early 90s, the year after Hinkle finished her studies at New York University in 1991, she met New York theatre director, Randall Sommer. They began a romance that saw them eventually break up after a while.
However, after Hinkle achieved success in Hollywood, the two ended their nine-month separation and moved into a Hollywood home that they leased.
On 29 November 1997, Marin Hinkle and Randall Sommer got married in a beautiful ceremony. The couple is still together now and has one child together, a son named Ben.
As for everything else in Marin Hinkle’s personal life, she keeps her private life to herself. She has an Instagram page but it is unverified, has only five posts and she has not shared a new update since October 2020.
View this post on Instagram
Marin Hinkle net worth
The bulk of Marin Hinkle’s income comes from her work in film. She has appeared in a stunning amount of television, stage, and Broadway productions, and as such, she has amassed a considerable net worth.
According to Celebrity Net Worth, Marin Hinkle is worth three million dollars ($3 million).
Marin Hinkle is a talented and determined person who found a way to turn her adversity into a blessing. She was born in Tanzania to American parents and originally wanted to become a ballerina. However, tragedy struck when she broke her ankle and could no longer pursue her dreams.
She did not let this deter her and instead chose a different career path—acting. She steadily worked her way up the ladder and is now quite successful at what she does, even earning awards for it.
You may also like to read our latest article, Charlie Watts, Rolling Stones drummer dies at 80; see 5 facts about him.