The rise of blockchain technology has birthed a wave of people who have become more curious about cryptocurrency and all that it involves. Apart from investors, there are those who seek knowledge on how to create their own cryptocurrency, thus widening their market and making more than a few people a few dollars richer.
You may have heard of the several kinds of cryptocurrency that exist, including bitcoin, Shiba Inu, Ethereum, and Dogecoin, and even heard of the not-so-popular coins that lesser-known people are creating. What’s more, it’s highly likely that you’ve heard of China’s crackdown on miners, a situation that affected the bitcoin market.
If you’re curious about how to make your own cryptocurrency, then you’ve come to the right place, as this article will give a detailed guide on how to mine your own cryptocurrency. A tip: start thinking of names.
What is a cryptocurrency?
If you’re familiar with bitcoin, dogecoin, ethereum, and the likes, then you’re halfway to knowing what a cryptocurrency is. But first, the origin of cryptocurrency should be discussed.
A currency is basically a unit of storage that is universally accepted as a means of buying and selling. Examples are the American dollar, the British pound, the Canadian dollar, and the Nigerian Naira.
In fact, in the olden days, things like rice and gold qualified for use as currency. This is a testament to the constantly shifting currency exchange methods in the world.
In our modern world, several people are of the opinion that hard currency is becoming outdated. As a solution to this, they sought to create a decentralized digital currency that would not be susceptible to the whims of world leaders and would not be controlled by anyone. Thus, cryptocurrency was born.
Cryptocurrency does not have banknotes; rather, coins are used, digital by nature. These coins are part of a technology called the blockchain. New coins are added to the blockchain as soon as they are mined by bitcoin miners who work hard to do so in exchange for rewards.
The first cryptocurrency to come into existence is bitcoin. Time over time, investors and financial analysts have drummed the benefits of bitcoin into the ears of listeners.
Today, there are over 1600 cryptocurrencies in existence, with differing levels of success. Of course, bitcoin is the most successful of them all. There are several reasons why business owners create their own cryptocurrencies, including but not limited to the security of funds, access to new customer funds, and lower operational costs.
How to make a cryptocurrency
As earlier stated, there are several benefits of making a cryptocurrency, all of which will be explained in detail later in this article. Making your own cryptocurrency is not a complicated process, as long as you follow the steps outlined below. Below is a detailed guide for how to make a cryptocurrency.
- Pick a consensus mechanism: A consensus mechanism marks certain transactions as legitimate or illegitimate and then adds them to your blockchain. You can choose whichever mechanism fits your business objectives.
- Choose a blockchain platform to host your currency: Pick a blockchain platform to host your new cryptocurrency. The most popular platform right now is ethereum, then there are WAVES, NXT, and many others.
- Design the nodes: Nodes are the components of your blockchain that help the platform to run smoothly. Here, you will need to pick an operating system, decide if it will be hosted on a cloud, and set permissions for the currency.
- Create the blockchain’s internal architecture: Once the blockchain is already running, some of these settings cannot be changed anymore, so you will have to be very careful at this step.
- Integrate your APIs: Several blockchain platforms come with free APIs. However, if yours does not, there’s no need to worry as there are several API providers to choose from.
- Design the interface: Your user interface and experience can make or break your project. Please pay special attention to this step to make it easier for your customers to use your currency.
- Legalize your cryptocurrency: The final step is to study the current crypto regulations and ensure that yours abides by the laws so that all your hard work does not go down the drain.
Pros of making a cryptocurrency
There are several advantages of making a cryptocurrency. Several people all over the world already see the benefits of bitcoin. While your currency may end up yielding wonderful returns like bitcoin, there are many more advantages of doing this.
- Get rid of fraud risks: With digital currency, you reduce the risk of fraud as no one can carry out counterfeit transactions or reverse past transactions. Everything that you do on this network is straightforward and secure, thanks to crypto miners.
- Give customers anonymity: One feature that your customers will love is the ability to be anonymous whenever they want, limiting the amount of information that sellers know about them.
- Reduce operation costs: There are no transaction charges when you trade cryptocurrency, so moving to a crypto-based currency will significantly cut operation costs.
- Faster transaction time: Typical banks don’t work outside business hours or on public holidays. Digital currency is not bound by these restrictions.
- Increased security for funds: Cryptocurrency is a decentralized system, so you will never be afraid of losing your assets to the government.
There are several advantages of making your cryptocurrency, but there are also some cons that you should know about before you embark on this journey.
- Volatility: Price volatility is a major issue when it comes to using digital currencies, and this stems from decentralization. Increased adoption should reduce this and will happen over time.
- Scalability: Although crypto is powerful within its own right, able to complete several transactions each day, it is still dwarfed by payments giants like VISA and Mastercard, even though solutions are currently being sought.
- Cybersecurity risks: Cryptocurrency is unfortunately subject to hacking attacks, and several businesses and individuals have already suffered losses as a result. However, several industry players are already seeking solutions to this issue.
Every business owner can create their own cryptocurrency in order to enjoy the numerous advantages of doing so. The process is very straightforward, from picking a consensus mechanism to legalizing your newly created cryptocurrency.
However, as more people embrace this new technology, there are still some inherent risks in doing so. Therefore, you must get your facts right, do a lot of research, and decide if this is the right decision for you and your business.
You may also like to read our latest article, Mass hysteria as WhatsApp, Instagram, Facebook, and Messenger crash.