Thomas Tuchel is finding his start to life as Chelsea manager interesting as the Blues claimed a third consecutive victory beating Sheffield United 2-1 in a thrilling contest at Bramall Lane to climb to fifth in the Premier League.
Mason Mount put the visitors ahead shortly before half-time, but the Blades rallied back to draw level within nine minutes of the restart from Antonio Rudiger’s bizarre own goal.
Chelsea restored their lead four minutes later after goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale’s foul on Werner was penalized and confirmed by VAR allowing Jorginho to convert from the spot for the second game running.
Rudiger also made atonement for his earlier error with a defensive masterclass that saw out the Chelsea win and condemned the battling Blades – who remain rooted to the foot of the table, 12 points from safety – to an 18th defeat of the season.
Watch the highlights of the match below
Stats and facts from the match (Backed by Opta)
- Chelsea have won each of their last three Premier League games, equalling their longest winning streak of the season (three between October-November). This was also just the second time they’ve won consecutive Premier League away games this term.
- Chelsea have only conceded one goal in their first four Premier League games under Thomas Tuchel – their fewest through a manager’s first four league games in charge since Guus Hiddink in February/March 2009.
- Since beating Chelsea at Bramall Lane in July 2020, Sheffield United have only won two of their last 13 home games in the Premier League (D1 L10).
- Sheffield United have kept just one clean sheet in their last 25 Premier League games, with that lone shutout coming at home to Newcastle last month.
- Since the start of last season, Chelsea’s Antonio Rüdiger is one of only five players to have scored multiple own goals in the Premier League (2), however the German has done it in the fewest appearances among this group (28).
- Aged 22 years and 28 days, Mason Mount is the second-youngest player to score 10 Premier League goals for Chelsea, after only Arjen Robben (21y 342d).
- Nine of Chelsea midfielder Jorginho’s 11 Premier League goals have come from the penalty spot (82%) – this is the highest ratio of any player with 10+ goals in the competition’s history.
Tottenham 2-0 West Brom: Harry Kane and Heung-Min Son continues fine partnership to help Spurs end losing run
Harry Kane marked his return from injury to the Tottenham set up and inspired his side to a first win in four matches as they earned a 2-0 home victory over West Bromwich Albion.
Kane, who went close three times in the first half, finally struck on 54 minutes to become Spurs’ joint-second highest all-time scorer, with 208 goals in all competitions.
Son Heung-min then added Spurs’ second four minutes later.
Kane, whenever he plays for Spurs always finds a way to get involved with the goals as he started a counter-attack which led to Lucas Moura setting up Son to strike his 13th goal of the season, level with Spurs’ opening scorer.
The victory means Spurs remain in the eighth spot on 36 points.
A fourth defeat in five matches leaves West Brom second from bottom, 11 points behind 17th-placed Burnley.
Premier League Standings