On 19 May 2020, American singer Demi Lovato came out as non-binary on the podcast “4D with Demi Lovato”. The superstar usually shares and explores curiosities, experiences, movements, and voices that raise the collective frequency of listeners.
The announcement came as a bit of surprise, but not as a shock because the soprano singer has always supported LGBT rights. Lovato also went on her Instagram page to share the news with her 104 million followers:
View this post on Instagram
Now that Demi Lovato identifies as non-binary, here are five things that you should know about non-binary gender:
1. Lovato’s pronouns will now be they/them no longer she/her as the singer already addressed.
2. Non-binary is also called genderqueer, and it means that Demi Lovato is neither male nor female? but can identify as any of the following:
- bigender or trigender: having two or more genders
- agender, nongendered, genderless, genderfree: having no gender
- genderfluid: moving between genders or having a fluctuating gender identity
- other-gendered: not placing a name to their gender
3. The singer and actress has chosen gender-neutral pronouns they/them, but other non-binary persons use conventional gender-specific pronouns he/she alternately while others use no pronouns at all and prefer only their name.
4. Being non-binary does not automatically confer a sexual orientation on Demi Lovato, and they can have a variety of orientations just as people of other genders have.
5. Typically, non-binary people are transgender because they identify with a gender that is different from their assigned sex at birth. Although, some non-binary persons do not consider themselves transgender.
While Lovato has always claimed that they are open to finding love, they have only publicly dated men such as Wilmer Valderrama, Joe Jonas, Trace Cyrus, Max Ehrich, and others.
Following their coming-out statement, the “Cool for the Summer” singer received support from followers, fans and the LGBT community online. You may also like to read our recent article Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck dating again? See celebrities who tried to rekindle their love and failed.