Italy’s sports minister has said that Cristiano Ronaldo may have broken health rules when he returned to Italy after testing positive for coronavirus in Portugal.
Ronaldo flew back to Italy in a private jet on Wednesday to go into quarantine at home.
The sports minister, Vincenzo Spadafora, during a radio interview, was asked if Ronaldo might have broken health rules in doing so and he replies: “Yes, I think so if there hadn’t been any specific authorisation from the health authority.”
However, Juventus president Andrea Agnelli said no rules had been broken.
“You must call the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of the Interior and have them explain what has been violated,” says Agnelli.
Juventus confirmed that Ronaldo had returned on a medical flight “authorised by competent health authorities” on Wednesday.
Juventus have also placed its entire squad in isolation on Wednesday after new signing, USA international midfielder Weston McKennie tested positive for coronavirus.
A club statement reads: “This procedure will allow all persons negative to the controls to carry out regular training and match activities, but will not allow contact with people outside of the group“.
The Juventus players and staff were isolating at the club’s hotel until last week after two staff members tested positive.