Nigerian Afrobeat sensation, Burna boy, has emerged the winner of MTV EMA Best Africa Act 2019 in an award show that took place Sunday night, 3rd November 2019 in faraway Seville, Spain.
Burna Boy beat other nominees including fellow Nigerian Teni the Entertainer, South African rapper Nasty C and hitmaker Prince Kaybee, as well as Togo’s duo Toofan and Tanzanian musician Harmonize to clinch the title.
This year, as usual, the MTV EMA was a celebration for the biggest names in music, with hosting duties undertaken by American singer and actress Rebbeca Marie Gomez known professional as Becky G.
The award also throws some surprises in the sense that Ariana Grande who went into the ceremony with seven nominations did not win a single. Furthermore, the winners’ list is dominated by women with the like of Taylor Swift, Nicki Minaj, Hasley, Billie Eilish, dominating.
Here’s is the rundown of who won what:
1. Best Video – Me! Ft. Brendon Urie Of Panic! At The Disco – Taylor Swift
2. Best Artist – Shawn Mendes
3. Best Song –Billie Eilish – Bad Guy
4. Best Collaboration – Rosalía, J Balvin – Con Altura Ft. El Guincho
5. Best New – Billie Eilish
6. Best Pop – Halsey
7. Best Live – BTS
8. Best Rock – Green Day
9. Best Hip-Hop – Nicki Minaj
10. Best Alternative – Fka Twigs
12. Best Electronic – Martin Garrix
13. Best Look – Halsey
14. Biggest Fans – BTS
15. Best Group -BTS
16. Best Push – Ava Max
17. Best World Stage – Muse, Bilbao, Spain 2018 *
18. Rock Icon – Liam Gallagher
19. Ema Generation Change – 5 winners
- Alfredo “Danger” Martinez, 33, Mexico
- Shiden Tekle, 20, UK
- Lisa Ranran Hu, 20, China
- Kelvin Doe, 22, Sierra Leone
- Jamie Margolin, 17, USA
In addition to the above categories, the MTV EMA 2019 also recognised 31 local act winners. It was under these categories that Burna Boy emerged winner of the African Act winner.
Some of the other winners in these categories are Avicii (Best Swedish Act), Little Mix (Best UK & Ireland Act) and Taylor Swift (Best US Act).
Congratulations to Burna Boy.